Educational Administration / Scholarship
Dr. Daniels spends 50% of his time on Educational administration and innovation / non-traditional scholarship.
- Associate Chair (Education and Faculty Development) for the Department of Medicine
- Assistant Dean (Assessment) for the MD Program
- Associate Program Director (Assessment) for the Core Internal Medicine
- Director of Clinical Assessment for the MD Program
- Physical Exam Lead for the MD Program
- Postgraduate OSCE Director for the Department of Medicine
- Streamlined paper-based OSCE practices to reduce time residents received results from 2 months to 1-2 weeks
- Co-developed an eOSCE platform with tablet scoring that reduced time to detailed feedback from 1-2 weeks to same day as the OSCE
- Revamped the Physical Exam curriculum for the MD Program to better adhere to national standards. The first cohort saw scores on their final year OSCE increase, with the greatest increase for lower-scoring students
- Led the development of assessment practices to enable the U of A Core Internal Medicine residency program to launch Competency-Based Medical Education (CBME) two years ahead of schedule
- Co-developed a local competency-based electronic portfolio that out-performed other national products available and is being used for all U of A programs launching CBME
Though the smallest part of his portfolio (10%), Dr. Daniels has a program of research focused on performance assessment, both Objective Structured Clinical Examinations (OSCEs) and workplace-based assessments. As of July 2020, Dr. Daniels has 13 publications in peer reviewed journals, and over 30 conference presentations.
Dr. Daniels has been involved in numerous grants as the Principal Investigator or Co-investigator with funds awarded totalling $219,000
Awards / Honours
See his CV for full details but Dr. Daniels has won over 20 teaching awards.
His three most prestigious awards are the University of Alberta's premier teaching award, the Rutherford Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching, the Association of Faculties of Medicine of Canada's Clinical Teacher Award awarded to one clinical teacher across Canada, and Edmonton's Avenue Magazine's Top 40 Under 40.